Thursday, July 3, 2014

A mommy post...

I got to spend some time today with a very dear friend of mine in town.  She has a little boy and is figuring out this mommy gig much like I am...Just as we go along.  We wing it most days, and praise God our children are fed, dressed, bathed, and alive at the end of the day.  However, we were talking about how much we at some point were, or are, in need of some wisdom from, and I use this term with love - older ladies!   We need someone to say, "Hey, just love that little toot.  They grow up fast."  I see so many blogs/bloggers today that are writing lists of what every "young/new" mom needs to know.   You know, they all make lists about how hard, challenging, frustrating, and mind numbing being a mom can be. Sometimes these lists say how "you will want to go for a walk one day and just keep going", or "you never knew you could be so angry at a child", or "you know that shaking a baby is wrong but sometimes it crosses your mind"...Those types of blogs.  (and I am not trying to bash those ladies, because everyone is free to write and have a way to process being a mom.) But, even with the very witty well written ones, I just feel like this can't be the best or only advice out there!  I see loads of blogs and articles written by moms that seem to be right around the same position as me and we're all in need of advice from someone with experience and wisdom. And perhaps there are blogs out there written by women with experience and wisdom and I just haven't found them yet. 
I think about my mom.  If I were to sit down and ask her if our whole childhood for her was shadowed by being frustrated or angry with us, I have a feeling she would tell me "No!".  If anything she would tell me that she would just love for my sister and me to be little again sitting in her lap.  I also think about how my mom raised us in a time when we didn't have the internet and every resource on being a parent at the tip of her fingers.  She managed.  She had her mom to turn too and other older women in her family to maybe lend a comforting, encouraging moment.  So...for all of those who read this and have the wisdom of going through motherhood of young children, ENCOURAGE us young moms.  We need you more than you know.  We need to know that this time is fleeting!  We need to know that once our 2 year old is 29 we won't remember the harder times, but the fun.  So.  Ladies of wisdom.  Speak.  Write.  Blog.  Tweet.  Instagram. Snail mail if need be.  Whatever!  You are needed.  Get your wisdom out there!  God gave it to you for you to give it away.




On a very unrelated note (because this is not my normal type of blog)...I will post a blog with an update on what has been going on in the Rosser house over the last month or so.

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree or love this more! I love having older ladies share their lives with me as I try to navigate this whole mommy-world! Praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been completely bewildered by the tidal wave of blogs by overwhelmed mothers, who seem to be crushed under the weight of unfulfilled expectations - of themselves, their homes, their children...I recall our five little buddies' early years as some of the most hilarious and joyful years of my life, and still miss them! Sure, we were busy, but I don't know - I wasn't losing my marbles over peanut butter smeared all over the walls and grape jelly on the upholstery (because they didn't DO that), and I didn't run myself ragged for years (because I stopped doing it when it was obviously a bad idea), and of course I questioned many things and always will. This is why God gives us the body of Christ - to share our joys and questions and little buddies. Ditch the complainers! Let's hang out some more so we can enjoy that little buddy of yours - he is just as delightful as our daughter Mary said! Hope to see you all again soon - much love from all the Wrights

    ReplyDelete