Saturday, February 25, 2012

2 Timothy 4:5

I am the type of person, and maybe you can relate, that has to always finish what I start. An example of this is when Colin and I were newly married and we started painting the rooms in our little home in Sonora. When we would stop to eat lunch I would gobble mine down and then need to get back to work, because I wasn’t finished cutting in the trim or left half a wall unpainted. Colin could just sit and relax and wanted me to do the same but soon found out that was not going to happen when there was painting to be done. I remember him asking me “You can’t relax until that room is finished can you?” To which I realized, nope, I can’t. I was reminded of this about myself today when I was reading in 2 Timothy. In chapter 4 verse 5 Paul writes, “But as for you, keep a clear head about everything, endure hardship, do the work of and evangelist, fulfill your ministry.” (HCSB) I grabbed my pen and boxed in the “fulfill your ministry” and let those words hit me with the impact God intended. “Fulfill your ministry” or finish what you start. Curious as to what another version had this verse translated to I picked up two more Bibles. The English Standard Version (ESV) is very similar, but the New Living Translation has it written just a bit different. The NLT says “But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.” I love the way that verse ends. It would be easy for me to view our mission as hard, or not easy, but if I keep my head and heart wrapped around the fact that it is a gift or has been given to me by God, how hard can it really get? If I truly believe every word that is written before me in my Bible then I have to know that “all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28 I am so very thankful for how God uses His word to reach me. Not only did He encourage me in my “need to finish everything” personality, but He also reminded me that my ministry here is a gift from Him. AWESOME! Just a few verses down in 2 Timothy 4:7 Paul writes “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” I pray that I continue to always fight for the Lord, always finish what I start and ALWAYS have faith in my Father in Heaven. ~Ronnie~

No comments:

Post a Comment