Monday, July 15, 2013

Mommy and Me Time On The Bike

Silas and I have been spending our days hanging around town these last few weeks.  The Land Rover is still in the shop.  It's been in there for one month but should be coming home this week some time and I couldn't be more pleased!  Colin takes the dirt bike to the village and Silas and I ride around town on my bike.  It is such a blessing to have a bike that I can use daily and I am so thankful for it.  
I went to one of the little shops just outside our gate and bought a green plastic chair so Silas could sit "safely" while we ride around.  I would have carried him on my back but haven't found a good  carrier for him.
So the green chair was the answer.  I had to have Colin cut the front legs off the chair because my flip flops were getting caught when I would peddle.  
I do make Si wear his "seat belt" when we go.  It consist of me taking one of Colin's belts and tightening it up around his belly and around the back of the chair.  This also helps to keep him from slipping down in the seat.
We have a good time when we ride.  I try and go in the mornings so the heat isn't too bad.  Thats more for me than for Silas.  I usually arrive to wherever we are going out of breath and pouring sweat!  I have a tendency to try and ride everywhere I go as fast as I can.  It makes for a sweaty hot mess when we stop.  Silas LOVES riding the bike with me.  He sings to me most days.  And he likes to point out the things he knows the words for.  I hear "You see 'em!  MOM, you see 'em!?" a lot.  And his favorite song "Happy happy happy happy happy happy, AMEN!"  By the time we get all our running around done,  I am loaded down with fruit and veggies from market, and we head home.  We usually make a trip to town 4 times a week.  Given the limited space I have for groceries I have to make more trips.  It has reduced our food budget for this month, and we are saving a ton on fuel!  Not to mention, my legs are getting into great shape!  Win win all around.   
I will be glad when the Land Rover is back, but I think we will continue to ride a few times a week just because.  I love the time I get to spend with Silas and this is just a cool thing that he and I get to do.        


And in other news...It hasn't been all bike riding for me.  I have been teaching Children's Church every Sunday and LOVE it.  I think there is about 50 to 60 kids each week.  We have started at the beginning of the Bible and will work our way through 75 stories of the Bible.  This past Sunday the Children did a small drama for the church.  I made signs for them to hold and we read through the story of creation.  It was fun and simple and just one more way that they got to hear the story and hopefully remember it!  
A friend and I are also teaching cooking classes each month at our church.  Last week we taught them how to prepare potato patties.  We used all ingredients that the ladies can get in the village.  From what we can tell, the ladies loved it and they have asked that we do it again this week.  So on Wednesday of this week we are going to go out again and cook.  This time however, the ladies that learned last week will teach the newcomers!  Should be a fun day!  I love my friends out in Obule.  They are so wonderful and I am just so excited to be a part of their lives.  I hear people say that we are a blessing to them, but I feel like we are the ones being blessed.  God has truly given us beautiful people to share our lives with here. 

1 comment: